Facial fillers are used to maintain volume in the face, and thus restore (or prolong) a youthful, rested, healthy appearance. Sometimes referred to as ‘collagen replacement’ or ‘soft tissue enhancement,’ or ‘Restylane’ (a brand name), facial filler injections take only minutes to perform and the cosmetic results are immediate. The dermatologist injects the selected facial filler at sites where natural fat has depleted, the most common being the folds next to the nose (nasolabial folds), the lines running from the mouth toward the chin (marionette lines), sunken cheeks and thinning lips. The new generation of facial fillers is more practical than the animal-based collagens they are descended from, as the newer products are biocompatible, more versatile in their weights and densities, and last longer. However, most facial fillers are still temporary, and depending on the staying power of the product (as well as the reaction of the patient) touch-ups will eventually be required.
NYDG FLASH FACTS
- Facial fillers instantly plump up nasolabial folds, marionette lines, sunken cheeks, thinning lips and soft jaw lines. Facial fillers can also be used to correct scars and deeper wrinkles.
- No prep time is required with facial fillers, though the patient may request topical numbing cold ice packs or nerve blocking prior to the procedure.
- Bruising may occur at injection sites. Patients should avoid aspirin and ibuprofen prior to procedure, and take herbal Arnica Montana and Papaya post procedure.
- All facial fillers used at NYDG are safe, long lasting and FDA-approved. NYDG is the leading provider of Restylane in New York.
- Facial fillers, along with Botox, are used for The Fifteen-Minute Facelift.