Finding ways to look and feel your best can sometimes be challenging. At New York Dermatology Group, we offer world-class options for our clients in managing a wide range of conditions and in putting your best face forward in all your professional and social interactions. If you have psoriasis, we can provide you with the most advanced solutions for this chronic skin disease. Our team of dedicated professionals can deliver the best treatment regimen for your ongoing skin care needs.
Psoriasis is a chronic condition of the skin that is characterized by itchy and scaly patches on various parts of the body. It can be painful and can result in cracking or bleeding of the skin caused by inflammation. Psoriasis is categorized into different types, which include the following:
• Plaque psoriasis is the most common form of this condition and causes raised and itchy patches to form on the skin. These patches may be dry and often result in redness and discoloration of the skin. The visible signs of psoriasis can be aesthetically unpleasant and require careful treatment to resolve effectively.
• Inverse Psoriasis usually occurs along skin folds and causes inflamed and red areas that can become much worse because of sweating or friction against the affected areas.
• Psoriasis of the Nails can cause the fingernails or toenails to become discolored, fragile or to crumble. Prompt and consistent treatment is required to resolve these issues and to restore nails to a functional condition.
• Pustular Psoriasis, as its name indicates, is characterized by pustules and pus-filled bumps that can occur on hands, feet or all over the body. This is a relatively rare form of psoriasis that requires immediate treatment to protect the health of those affected by this condition.
The team at New York Dermatology Group can provide you with the right options to control and manage psoriasis effectively.
Most medical researchers believe that psoriasis is caused by a disorder of the immune system that causes the body’s own defense system to attack skin cells. This can result in the characteristic itching, raised patches and redness that is associated with psoriasis attacks.
Commonly reported triggers for psoriasis flare ups include the following:
• Consumption of large amounts of alcohol
• Minor injuries to the skin, which may include cuts and scrapes
• Cold or dry weather
• Systemic infections
• Use of some prescription medications
• Smoking tobacco or exposure to secondhand smoke
Our team at New York Dermatology Group can provide you with guidance in making holistic changes to your lifestyle to reduce the effects of these triggers.
There are a number of treatments for psoriasis that can prove effective in reducing outbreaks for our clients. Some of the most common treatment options we offer include the following:
Topical corticosteroids: Applied to the skin, corticosteroid creams and ointments are often an effective first line of defense against outbreaks of psoriasis and can reduce the duration and itchiness of the raised red patches commonly associated with this condition.
Synthetic vitamin D: For mild cases of psoriasis, analogues of vitamin D that can be applied topically can also produce good results with or without the addition of corticosteroid treatments.
Retinoid gels and creams: Another topical treatment for psoriasis, retinoids can sometimes cause skin irritation and may not be suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding clients in our office.
Specialty shampoos: Coal tar and salicylic acid shampoos can sometimes produce good results for clients with scalp psoriasis.
Light therapies: Ultraviolet light treatments can sometimes reduce the symptoms of psoriasis. At New York Dermatology Group, we can provide a range of light therapy options that include Blue Light Therapy, Red Light LED Bed and laser therapies that can help you manage psoriasis more effectively now and in the future.
Medication options: Working with a board-certified dermatologist at New York Dermatology Group can also allow you to access oral and injectable medications that can have a significant impact on the way you feel and the appearance of psoriasis outbreaks. We will tailor a treatment program that will help you to look and feel your very best every day.
Our board-certified dermatologists will work with you to find the best options for treating your psoriasis condition and to help you manage outbreaks when they occur.
New York Dermatology Group – Integral Health & Wellness is a vibrant, sophisticated and exclusive center specializing in world-class aesthetic, fitness and performance enhancement methods that empower our clients and optimize the human experience.
Headed by internationally acclaimed dermatologist and doctor of internal medicine David A Colbert MD, our medical, research and holistic teams have been hand-selected on the basis of their unique knowledge and established expertise.