BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA approved for the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles, and is extremely effective at easing the over-contracted muscles that cause surface skin to look old or stressed. Placed strategically by a skilled dermatologist Botox can also gently lift the lower third of the face, the usual target of the surgical facelift. A Botox treatment typically consists of several small injections. It works by temporarily weakening the treated muscles so that the skin relaxes and facial wrinkles and lines become less noticeable. Results can be seen in 4-10 days and can last 4 to 6 months.
NYDG FLASH FACTS
- Botox improves frown lines, (vertical furrows between the eyes) glabellar lines, lines on the bridge of the nose, horizontal lines on the forehead, crow’s feet around the eyes, or bands on the neck.
- The use of ice or topical numbing cream can desensitize the area prior to Botox treatment; tiny needles mean discomfort during the Botox procedure is minimal.
- Minor, temporary bruising may occur; patients should avoid aspirin and ibuprofen prior to Botox treatments.
- When injected by a cosmetic dermatologist, Botox is extremely safe, both medically and aesthetically. A dermatologist has years of additional training in the complex system of facial muscles and nerves and can impart a rejuvenated though natural look.
- The best way to prevent wrinkles is to avoid the sun. Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher, like La Roche-Posay’s FDA-approved sun products, or NYDG’s Physician’s UV Defense developed by Dr. David Colbert.